My last blog post was written at the very beginning of summer. Summer, self-care and boundaries outlined the steps I wanted to take to improve my quality of life. I am committed to staying on track!
I recently saw a mom with a stroller and her diaper bag had the following words imprinted on it. Super Mom. Super Wife. Super Tired.
Yes! Yes! Yes!
This is why I wrote the blog in the beginning of the summer regarding boundaries. I still have to ask though, how much of that “super tired,” is a result of each one of us taking on too much? What kind of resolutions will help you reduce the stress in your life? Today is August 10th and New Year’s Eve is only three weeks away.
Let’s face it. Summer rocks. It doesn’t matter if you work, if you stay-at-home or if you are a student, the truth of the matter is that we are in a magical time of year. The sun is shining, the birds are singing and everyone breathes just a little bit easier. In fact, as the summer draws to an end it is time to make your New Year’s resolution. Yes, you read that correctly. August feels like the end of the year for many of us. In September teachers and students go back to school, mom and dad settle back into work mode, focusing on work-life balance and the routine of the year begins once again. August is the real New Year’s Eve.
Here are some random resolutions in my convoluted mind and some of them I have verbalized in my last blog but I need to repeat them for my own sake! Forgive me if this post is rather similar, it’s my reboot after not writing for two months. I have a new post in my mind about Facebook and the political landscape. It’s a doozy. Stay tuned!
- Limit the social media expectations in my life. I won’t be available within 30 seconds of receiving a text and people shouldn’t expect me to immediately respond. I’m not going to live my life out on Facebook nor will I view my friends lives through the distorted Facebook lens.
- I will limit the time on the phone each morning. I have some projects I’ve been wanting to complete but last year spent the entire morning on people and things that took up a lot of my time. Get out of the house!
- Limit emotional baggage in my life. I tend to take on other people’s problems and emotions. I need to balance how much comes at my sensitive heart on an ongoing basis. I’m a positive person and that also means less negative vibes my way!
- Level set the expectations I unfairly put on my kids. Screw society. My kids are unique, empathetic, kind and intelligent. That’s enough for me. I will support them with their interests and talents and won’t try to impose the “norm” on them. I believe in them.
- Balance. Namaste. Balance. Time to go back to yoga and spin class this August and September!
- Volunteer more where needed. Introduce my children to contributing more to society. Help my child’s teacher!
- See my family and good friends more. I miss my brothers. I miss my mom and dad. We all get caught up in our own lives and I would like to see the people I love more often. I am going to make this happen!
- Write. The blog. More. A new project.
- Celebrate the holidays BIG this year. I let them pass me by last year. I truly feel my children slipping away into middle school, college and beyond. I still have time for magic.
- Hike more! Garden more! Laugh more! Love more! Insanely.
Well there you have it! Happy August! What will your year look like? What would you change? I would love to hear about your ideas and plans for additional resolutions! Get ready for a great year and remember that you need to take care of yourself before you can take care of your family and your friends!